Forums / Install & configuration / Error 500 on install (hosted site)

Error 500 on install (hosted site)

David Van Beveren

Thursday 09 November 2006 9:41:46 am

I am attempting to add eZ Publish to our hosted site. The installation goes fine up to the point where the installation completes and I am presented with the option to go to the user page or to the admin page. I click either and get an Error 500 from the HTTP server.

If I reload this page I get the same error 500.

I do not have access to the http server error log, so I cannot get more information than this.

I followed the defaults and selected a news_site as the template. I have done this twice (scrubbing the ezpublish tree and reloading a fresh install in between) and seen the exact same behavior both times. The install suggests that I should create a .htaccess file in order to improve security. I have not done this.

Our ISP has PHP4 and PHP5 installed. I believe the PATH environment variable might be pointing to php5 first, though I cannot verify this yet. Can someone tell me how via .htaccess maybe I can explicitly tell the server to invoke the php4 executable, provided I know where in the filesystem this resides? I would have thought it would be via an AddHandler directive though I cannot get it to work.

Claudia Kosny

Thursday 09 November 2006 10:43:01 am

Hi David

Usually it is not possible to select which executable you want on a per directory basis on shared hosting service unless you have a really good provider. I have seen a few times that you can specify in the administration of your site for which file extensions which php version should be used so check whether you find any setting there.

The easiest way to find out which php version is running is to upload a phpinfo file. Just create a textfile named phpinfo.php with the following content:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Upload the file and call it in your browser. You will get loads of information, the PHP version is right at the top.

Good luck

Claudia

David Van Beveren

Saturday 11 November 2006 1:44:16 am

The phpinfo() call shows I am running 4.4.4. (Thanks for that!). It also shows the memory limit configured to 80MB.

So I am running out of ideas. I am running php 4.4.4, and MySql4, and I did a completely middle of the road install (just chose the default values). Where do I start looking at what is causing the error 500 as soon as the installation is finished?

Many of the other php scripts in the installation run without error.

I wonder is there a list of the files that get modified when the installation / setup is performed?

If I had this I could also easily revert to the unconfigured version without uploading the whole 40MB? I cannot upload a single tarball and extract it (I have no shell access).

Thanks for everyone's help. I see from reading the archive that this is not a totally unique problem, though a lot of the hints in the other threads suggest modifying the .htaccess file. I have no .htaccess file in my top-level directory.

David Van Beveren

Saturday 11 November 2006 2:22:30 am

Here is one possible reason for the failure. My ISP is running a fairly secure system, and files with world writeable permissions are deemed insecure and thus not opened. If a php script tries to open a file which is world writeable, the suExec environment stops the script and returns error 500.

I noticed that the file var/news_site/storage.log has perms set tp 666. I'm going to turn off the world writeable bit and see if things improve. However, I am wondering what the root cause of this might be, and if the umask for such files might be changeable somewhere, or if this might be considered a bug.

Any other insight is really appreciated!

dvb